My background :
I have art directed, commissioned and nurtured the careers of photographers for over 25 years; analysing and critiquing their work, brainstorming and developing ideas for projects and assessing their suitability for the commercial and editorial marketplace across a broad spectrum of genres.
I was brought up amongst a family of fine artists and musicians in an unconventional studio environment in London with the ever-present smell of resin and paint and a constant backdrop of music and creative problem-solving.
After graduating as a scientist, alongside developing an obsession for black and white photography and the magic of the darkroom, I worked at Getty Images for 17 years from its earliest beginnings through to it becoming the global media content agency that it is today. For many years I honed my skills at editing and art direction before taking on senior creative positions, latterly as the European Director of Photography. Following that I was a director at two other leading image agencies (Image Source and Gallery Stock) before concentrating on my work as a mentor to photographers, which I have now been focusing on for over 10 years.
This background, as well an on-going involvement in studio management, has undoubtedly helped me appreciate how creative individuals work, cope and adapt to the trials and tribulations that are an inevitable part of their lives.
I get a huge amount of satisfaction building relationships with photographers who need help and support defining their vision and practice and so build a greater confidence to take their work and business to the next level.
As well as one-to-one consultations, I thoroughly enjoy the buzz and interaction of running hands-on workshops and seminars for photographers at all different stages in their careers – from BA and MA students through to established pros - on wide-ranging topics to help tune up their business
Why work with me?
• I have a deep-rooted understanding and empathy for creative individuals: the hurdles they face and the mind-set they need to develop their ideas around which to build a sustainable business.
• I am passionate about untangling an individual’s story so they can express themselves and their vision with genuine confidence, verve and authenticity.
• I have been working alongside photographers and nurturing their talent since 1992 so I too have journeyed through and adapted to the many changes the industry has faced.
• Whether on a one-to-one or through a group workshop, I always strive to impart a whole host of pearls (of wisdom) and actionable steps with options and ideas to take your business forwards to the next level. There will always be plenty to do after a session with me!
• By understanding your journey to photography, I will guide you through your strengths and weaknesses in building and growing a sustainable business.
• I can provide an independent, unbiased and objective viewpoint on your work, marketing and goals as a photographer.
• I am known for having a keen eye for image selection and am passionate about communicating effective feedback.
• I am closely allied to the industry, keeping my ear to the ground into which you can plug and so feel less isolated.
• I can be your accountability partner and sounding board so you feel supported through developmental changes in your career or though the challenges of specific projects.
• I have worked with photographers within the fine art, commercial and editorial arenas across all subject areas.
Bridgeman Art Library
CEPIC – (Coordination of European Picture Agencies)
Photography Courses London
World Photography Organisation
Association of Photographers
Royal Photographic Society
Photographers’ Dining Club
Four Corners Film
Universities around the UK
(Brighton, Sheffield, Portsmouth, Westminster, LSBU, UEL, LCC)